Newspaper article (1976) in THIS WEEK / COURIER-SUN (Forest City, NC).
"Bridges to the Past" (a regular column) by Mrs. Ernest Newton and Roy Brooks.
"Researching the Bridges Family".
(Comments and error corrections are after the end.)
Published 1976; Posted Sept 9, 2006; Revised Sept 15, 2006
First Part. Wednesday, June 30, 1976. For the past several weeks now we have been writing about the Green family in early Rutherford and Cleveland counties and we have stated that this was one of the most difficult families to research. However, the Green family is not unique in its research problems, and many other old families can be almost as frustrating. Among these other families requiring much patience and hard work are the BRIDGES and HAMRICK families.
Some of the problems or research on these two families is the result of published, and traditional information which was incorrect, or at best, partially incorrect. That, plus the fact that the Bridges' were nearly as numerous as the Green's in this section of the country places this family in a class with the Green's, Jones', Davis', Smith's, etc. in its degree of difficulty to trace.
Mr. Mills Y. Bridges, #36 Fidelity Courts Apts., Carrboro, N. C. 27510, has spent the past several years on research on his Bridges and the Hamrick families, and has now summmarized his findings for our readers. Mr. Bridges was assisted in the research by Mrs. Hedy Newton, Mrs. Mildred Gee, and others, and he reminds us that this summary should not be considered as complete in all details and is only an outline of his conclusions based on information presently available. Following is the first of two columns on his findings.
Bridges Family. The story of the Rutherford County BRIDGES families begins with the Prince William County, Va. will of William Bridges dated Dec. 31, 1743, and proven April 23, 1744.
His son William, received two-thirds of the estate and his daughter, Mary Bridges, received one-third. His wife was not mentioned. The executors named were his friends, William Roe and Charles Kil, who were to keep his children under their custody for four years. This appears to indicate his son William was the oldest son but would not reach his legal age for four years indicating William was born about 1726. Although the wife of William was living at the time William made his will, he gave all of his estate to his children. Witnesses to the will were Andrew Savage, Rose Veale (female) and John Lloyd. William Wroe, John Grant and Richard Foote signed the bond for William Wroe to serve as executor.
The will of William Bridges does not name all of his sons but later records show there were at least six sons, and to avoid confusion due to repition of first names, they will be referred to as the six "brothers": William, Thomas, Benjamin, Joseph, James, and John. The Richard Bridges who appeared in the Prince William County records in 1754 was probably also a son of William. The brothers apparently were born about 1720-40. In 1769, John Bridges was the executor of one Elizabeth Bridges English with James Bridges as security.
A list of tithables dated 1747 for Prince William County, shows James Bridges counted with Isaac Reeves and listed beside five Hamricks: Patrick Hamrick, Sr.; Patrick Hamrick, Jr.; Robert Hamrick; Benjamin Hamrick and James Hamrick, with Benjamin Bridges being listed with John Graham at Cedar Run. The lists shows 112 acres for Benjamin Bridges in 1752 and 1777.
A tax list of 1783 for Prince William County shows Benjamin Bridges and five Ham(b)rick families: Patrick, Benjamin, James, Isaac and Scirs.
There are records of BRIDGES in the parent counties of Prince William County, but there is no proven connection of the Bridges in that county with those Bridges in any earlier county.
Prince William County was formed in 1731 from Stafford and King George counties, with Stafford County being formed in 1664 from Westmoreland County (1653) and King George county being formed in 1721 from Richmond County (1692). Fauquier County (1759) and Fairfax (1742) were formed from Prince William with Loudoun County (1757) being formed from Fairfax county.
There are records of an Anthony Bridges in Westmoreland, Stafford and Rappahannock counties during the 1660's and 1670's.
In 1690 in Westmoreland County, William Bridges and wife, Elizabeth received a land grant of 700 acres. In 1723 in Westmoreland, an inventory was taken by one William Bridges (administrator) of the estate of another William Bridges (deceased). The published marriages of Richmond County report the marriage of Elizabeth Medcalf (widow of Samuel Baley d. 1727) to William Bridges of Westmoreland County prior to 1741; and the marriage of William Jacobs to Mary Bridges (spinster) in 1753. In 1746 in Westmoreland County an inventory was taken by Peter Rust, executor of the estate of John Bridges.
In 1724 in King George County, Ann Bridges presented the will of William Bridges and took oath as executor with the will being proven by Francis Payne, John Payne and Robert English.
On January 7, 1724 a Northern Neck grant was issued to Roger Day of Stafford County for 760 acres of land in that county on the north side of Broad Run of Occaquan River adjoining Edward Grayham. A note on this grant shows that Roger Day died without paying for this land and this same land was granted on Aug. 17 1725 to Henry McDonnac who intermarried with Roger Days's widow. A note on the grant to McDonnac shows his wife's name was Elizabeth, and McDonnac is to convey to his wife's daughter Elizabeth Day, 260 acres of this land. Roger Days's will is indexed in Stafford County Will Book K 1721-1730, page 169; however, the early Stafford County Wills no longer exist.
On Sept. 17, 1726, Patrick and Margaret (wife) Hamrick of King George County, and Robert and Sarah (wife) Inglesh (? or Ingles) of Stafford County, sold to Samuel Skinker of King George County, 100 acres in Stafford County, which had been sold by Lem Cox (?) to Robert Inglesh on Oct. 20, 1709.
In 1734 Samuel Skinker of Hanover Parish, leased land to Patrick and Margaret (wife) Hamrick, planter, of Brunswich Parish, both of King George county for the consideration of "divers good causes."
A witness to this lease was Jos. Strother. The detailed will of Samuel Skinker was proven in 1752 in King George County, but does not indicate any family relationships with the Hamricks. In 1753, the executors of Samuel Skinker sued William Bridges for a debt. In 1754 and 1755 Anthony Strother sued Richard Bridges and Thomas Bridges for debts.
In 1739, Robert English, aged about 37, of King George County, Thomas Hart, aged about 50, of Prince William County, and Edward Graham, aged about 60, of Prince William County, gave depositions to John Mercer, attorney for Patrick Hamrick, which were admitted to record on March 7, 1739. These three men stated that they were well acquainted with Roger Day and they often heard him acknowledge Patick Hamrick to be his cousins as they were children of brother and sister, and were shipmates and that Roger Day would give Patrick Hamrick land for his lifetime and assist him in building he having no other relation in this country.
On January 10, 1739, Patrick Hamrick of King George Co. was issued a warrant for a survey of 100 acres in Prince William County between the lands of Thomas Eaves, Wm. Davis, Richard Melton, Edward Graham, and land formerly Roger Days, now claimed by Patrick Hamrick as his heir. This land was surveyed as 118 acres near the head of Winter's middle branch and near Croupers (Cuppers) Cabbin Branch near a branch of Buckhall, and adjoining George Eaves and Thomas Davis. Chain carriers were Charles and James Graham. A Northern Neck grant was issued to Patrick Hamrick dated Dec. 10, 1740.
Patrick Hamrick left a will in 1764 in Prince William County with Patrick Hamrick, Jr. as executor and James Bridges as security. The records of the same county show Robert Hamrick died 1757 (widow, Elizabeth) and John Hamrick died 1757 (widow, Sarah). It is suspected both John and Robert were sons of Patrick, Sr.
The index to deeds of Prince William County shows the following Hamricks: Patrick, Isaac, Joseph, Samuel and Jeremiah. Other records show Alexander Davidson and Bushrod Doggett were present in that county and were later in Rutherford Co., N. C.
Some of the Hamricks remained in Virginia; some moved through Wilkes Co., N. C. on their way to Wilkes Co., Ga.; and some moved with the Bridges' to Rutherford Co., N. C. The following Hamricks were listed in the 1790 Census of Rutherford County: James, Jeremiah, Samuel, Price, Enoch, Henry and Nathan. The following Hamricks appeared in the records of Wilkes Co., N. C.: Thomas, Robert, Patrick and John.
The exact location of the Bridges' residence in Prince William County has not been determined, but it must have been near the Hamricks who were located near the present town of Manassas.
It is believed brother Benjamin Bridges remained in Virginia and did not migrate to N. C. with his brothers. It is known that he had at least one daughter, Nance Bridges, to whom he gave land in 1766. A deed in 1768 appears to indicate one Benjamin Bridges had married Seybe, who had been given land by her father, Thomas Whitledge in his will.
Five of the six brothers moved to North Carolina during the middle 1760s to the area between Deep Creek of Flat River, Maho (Mayo) Creek, Cub Creek of Tar River, Aaron's Creek and Grassy Creek; generally, the present eastern Person county (brothers John and William), and middle-noth-western Granville County (brothers Thomas and James); which at that time was Orange County and Granville County. Samuel Hamrick purchased land on Cub Creek which he sold in 1772. Samuel was listed on a 1771 Granville County Tax List.
Brother James Bridges was issued a Granville land grant on Oct. 13, 1761 for 340 acres on Cub Creek of Tar River in Orange County which had been surveyed on April 14, 1761 with John Bridges as chain bearer. Orange County Deed Book 3 pages 210-211 recorded a deed for 200 acres between Mayo Creek and Buck Mountain Creek sold June 29, 1769 by John Tomson to John Bridges of Prince William County, Va.
It is important to note for purposes of separation, that in southeast Granville County and present Warren County, there were several earlier "Bridger" and "Bridgers" families. The location of the deeds and names of associated families help separate these from the Bridges families from Prince Wm.Co.
Second Part. Wednesday, July 14, 1976. Brother James Bridges married Lydia Lashley about 1764 (widow of Patrick Lashley) and brother Thomas Bridges married Ann Lashley on Aug. 10, 1772 (daughter of Patrick and Lydia Lashley) in Granville County. Patrick Lashley's will was proven in 1759 and in 1764 James Bridges was appointed guardian of Patrick's daughter, Ann Lashley. Apparently the other Bridges brothers maried earlier before leaving Virginia.
In 1771, the following BRIDGES' signed a petition in Orange County, N. C. requesting the formation of a new (Caswell) county: William, Senr.; William, Junr.; John; Moses; Aaron and apparantly a second John. Also signing this petition were Alexander Davidson, James Satterfield, John Tabor, and others who later appeared in Rutherford County. Caswell County was formed from Caswell in 1791. Moses Bridges, Samuel Hamrick and Enoch Hamrick appear on a 1777 Caswell County Tax List and are not listed in 1780. Henry Hamrick was listed in 1780.
The five Bridges brothers and their families moved westward across N. C. during the 1770's. Brother James had purchased land in Mecklenburg Co. in 1765 on both sides of Thicketty Creek, on the south side of Broad River, and in 1767 received a State grant on Bullocks Creek of Thicketty Creek (actually this land was located later in York Co., S. C. Brothers James, Thomas, and John settled on Buffalo Creek in York, S. C. Brother William settled on Shoal Creek of First Broad River. Brother Joseph lived on Shoal Creek with his son, Benjamin, and then moved to Greenville Co., S. C. and settled on Reedy River near the foot of Paris Mountain.
It appears the five brothers and their families were initially associated with Buffalo Baptist Church with some of brother William's family later attending Sandy Run Baptist Church. Brother Joseph's son, Benjamin, was associated in 1799 with the Head of Enoree Baptist Church (now Reedy River Baptist).
Brother Thomas Bridges did not have any children. York County, S. C. deed book A pages 207-209 recorded in 1787 a deed from Abraham and Elizabeth (wife) Kuykendall of Tryon County, N. C. to Thomas Bridges of Granville Co., N. C. dated Aug. 6, 1774 for 333 acres on both sides of Buffaloe Creek in Camden district, with brother James Bridges as a witness to this deed. This land was later in York County and now is in present Cherokee County, probably near Buffalo Baptist Church.
Brother Thomas Bridges left a will dated July 28, 1781 and probated Jan. 29, 1782 in Camden District (town of Camden later became the seat of Kershaw County) in which he gave his wife Ann, one-third of his property and loaned her the other two-thirds during her life time after which it was to be distributed equally among his brothers which he named: William, John, James, Benjamin, and Joseph. Mentioned in this will was James Saterfield.
Brother Thomas directed his executors (wife, Ann Bridges), and, Joseph Camp, minister) to care for his mother out of his estate as she is old, but it does not mention her name.
The estate papers of Thomas Bridges contain receipts dated February, 1782 from his five brothers for their share of his estate. The receipt for brother Benjamin has a note on it "Not to be recorded," probably indicating brother Benjamin did not sign it himself because he had remained in Virginia. Ann, (widow of brother Thomas) married Abraham Green sometime prior to May 15, 1799, at which time Ann Green witnessed a deed from her mothe Lydia, to James Bridges (son of brother James and Lydia). From the 1804 estate records of Lydia, it appear that Ann died just prior to 1804 without any heirs.
All children of brother James Bridges are known, and include: Richard; James born 1774, died July 11, 1816; and Susanna (married James Elmore). Brother James is listed in the 1790 York County census as "Saml." (which should be read as "Jams.") Brigs. Lydia Bridges (widow) was appointed administrator of the estate of brother James on Feb. 6, 1792 in York Co., S. C.
Lydia died about 1804. Brother James was a deacon at Buffalo Baptist Church and served as a spy on the Indian expedition in 1779 and as "Captain of Horse" in 1780-1781 during the Revolutionary War.
Richard (son of brother James) was shown in an 1802 deed to be a resident of Georgia and in an 1803 deed to be a resident of Spartanburg Dist., S. C. In 1809 William Camp gave two and one-fifth acres of land to the deacons of the Church of Christ at Buffaloe in York Distirct "whereon Buffaloe Meeting House now stands" near the spring, with James Bridges (son of brother James) and Peter Quin as witnesses. This James died in 1816 and is buried at Buffalo Baptist Church.
The known children of brother John Bridges include two sons, Thomas and William and possibly Edmond. Edmond Bridges died prior to 1800 as his wife Abigail appears in the 1800 census born prior to 1755. Brother John is listed in the 1790 Census of York County as John Brigs. It is believed brother John was listed in the 1800 census as an elder member of his son William's household.
The known children of brother Joseph Bridges include three sons, Benjamin, Thomas and William. These are listed in the 1790 Greenville County census as is brother Joseph. Brother Joseph was last known to be alive in 1799 in Greenville Co. when he sold his land, including the place where he was living, to John McClanehan. Brother Joseph's son Benjamin was born about 1750-55 and died 1824 in Greenville Co. leaving a large family.
We will conclude the BRIDGES family next week with the family of brother William Bridges.
Third Part. Wednesday, August 4, 1976. It is believed that brother William Bridges was born about 1726. The name of his wife is not known, but apparently they were married about 1745 in Virginia and their children were born about 1745-65. In 1804, when brother William's sons, Aaron and Moses, transferred their church membership from Buffalo to Sandy Run, an unidentifed Catherine Bridges accompanied them. Brother William lived on 132 acres near the mouth of Shoal Creek of First Broad River in Rutherford County (now Cleveland).
On Jan. 11, 1802 letters of administration were issued to Thomas Bridges on the estate of William Bridges, deceased, and Thomas entered into bond with Isaac Bridges. On January 14, 1802, Thomas returned an inventory and on April 16, 1802 William Bridges, administrator, also returned an inventory. Brother William was the father of at least seven sons, listed below in the probable order of their birth.
(1) John, born about 1745, died about 1796-1800. Married about 1765, Elizabeth. John lived on Shoal Creek and was the father of the following children: John, Jr.; Elizabeth (who married Jacob Arner); Amelia; George; Rachel; and possibly five other sons according to the 1790 census. Included among his heirs were Joseph Collins and William Davidson.
(2) Moses, born about 1745-50, died about 1818, and married about 1772 to Sarah. Moses lived on Poplar Branch and Beaverdam Creek and east of Sandy Run Creek and was the father of the following children: James, born 1771, and still living in 1850; and married Dicey Harrill; Samuel "Mad Sam," born 1774 and died 1840; "Camp Creek" John born about 1782 and died 1848 married Fanny Jones; Moses Jr., born about 1776-94 still living in 1820; and, probably Aaron, born 1784 died 1852 married Sarah Hamrick. James and Dicey appear to be the parents of th following: Moses (who married Elizabeth Yarborough); Gilbert (who married Mahala Havener); and Housan Harrell Bridges.
(3) Aaron, born about 1745-50, died about 1818 and married about 1772 to Sarah. Aaron owned land from Poplar Branch of Beaverdam Creek westward across both sides of Sandy Run Creek. Aaron's sons lived just west of Sandy Run Creek and included the following: "Sandy Run" James, born about 1775 and died 1844 (father of Wiley, Anderson and James); "Grog Creek" John, born about 1778 died 1842 (ancestor of the writer); William born about 1786 and still living in 1850 (the father of Ezekiel): Samuel, born about 1787 and still living in 1860 (father of Alexander); Ephraim, born about 1780-90 still living in 1830 in Franklin County, Tennessee; and, probably Aaron, born 1789 died 1887 who married Margaret Holland.
(4) William, born about 1750-55. This birthdate is calculated from the signature of William Bridges, Jurn. on the 1771 Orange County petition. William Jr. appears in the Rutherford County deeds and in the 1802 settlement of his father's estate. The Sandy Run Baptist Church minutes report one William, married Ann, prior to 1802. One William married Catherine Blanton (daughter of George) probably prior to 1800 and was shown in the 1830 and 1840 census with a birthdate of about 1760-70. The family of William, Jr. has not yet been determined.
(5) "Shoal Creek" James, born about 1755-60, living in 1834, and married about 1784. James lived on Shoal Creek and was the father of the following children: Richard, born 1790 died 1868; George born 1796 died after 1880; Burwell B(lanton) Bridges, born about 1800 died about 1848; and, Asa, born about 1804 and died about 1854.
(6) Thomas, born about 1755-60 was one of the younger sons and married about 1782 to Elizabeth. The Sandy Run Baptist Church minutes report about 1805 that Thomas Bridges moved out of the county and over the mountains.
(7) Isaac, born about 1764 and died about 1851-59, married 1784 to Mary. Isaac was probably the youngest son, and about 1818 he moved to Franklin County, Tennessee with all of his children and several other Bridges families.
COMMENTS, CAUTIONS, ERROR CORRECTIONS AND ADDITIONS: This article is reproduced above exactly (including errors) as it first appeared in 1976. This article was in 1976, and still is, a "Rosetta Stone" guide for research on the Bridges families and on the Hamrick families of Rutherford County and Cleveland County, North Carolina. A caution was issued at the beginning of the article that it is not complete in all details, and is only an outline. The article does not attempt to trace or complete all family trees and branches, but it is an outline, which is still reasonably sound, upon which to base other more detailed genealogical research.
This article was originally written to share information with other researchers to help them overcome errors and false starts in their early Bridges and early Hamrick research which had been guided (or misguided) since 1920 by a book which contained errors, guesses, and unsupported conclusions which were improperly presented in 1920 as factual.
About five years prior to writing this 1976 article, this writer was the first researcher to identify and document that the Bridges and Hamrick families of Rutherford and Cleveland County, N. C. originated in Prince William County, Virginia; and that Patrick Hamrick (in Virginia prior to 1720) was the ancestor of the Rutherford / Cleveland County Hamrick families. This 1976 article was the first article published which shared details of Patrick Hamrick in the Northern Neck of Virginia with his descendants in North Carolina.
The above 1976 article almost omits one entire generation of early Bridges men, apparently born ca 1715/25. During the mid 1730s the western boundary of Prince William Co., VA. was the eastern boundary of Orange Co., Va. The land records of Orange Co., Va. show that William, Richard and John Bridges were in eastern Orange Co. in the mid 1730s, and from the court records in the early 1750s, were also in Prince William County, as was Thomas Bridges. These four are in addition to two other Bridges men, James and Benjamin, who were on the 1747 Prince William Co. tax lists. These six Bridges men just listed above are a generation older than the “brothers” named in the 1781 will of Thomas Bridges in South Carolina. Some or all of these six Bridges men are the ancestors of the Bridges who moved to North Carolina. These six men may fit on the Bridges tree under, or beside of, the William Bridges who died in 1744 Prince William County. The relationships are not proven. Richard Bridges b. ca 1715/20 (moved to south Granville Co., NC) was apparently still alive in 1786 and is the ancestor of the Wilkes Co., Ga. Bridges families. William b. ca 1715/20 of the mid 1730s in Orange Co., Va. moved to northern Granville Co., N.C. , and was father of the six "brothers" named in 1781 will of Thomas in Camden District, SC, with William (from Orange Co, Va.) found alive in Granville Co., N.C. in 1777. William born ca 1735 (apparent "brother" of Thomas who left the 1781 will) died in 1801/02 Rutherford Co.< NC and is likely the son of William b. ca 1715/20 (from Orange Co., VA). John of mid 1730s in Orange Co., VA apparently married Margaret Perkins and died ca 1788 on Balls Creek in Lincoln Co., N.C. James, of the 1747 tax list was alive in 1765 in VA and is apparently the father of three sons: Moses, Aaron, and John who moved ca 1768 to Orange Co., NC and then the three sons moved to Rutherford Co. The problem in separating these men who shared given names, is that they did not have middle names or middle initials in the old records.
Moses Bridges b. ca 1745 and Aaron Bridges b. ca 1747 are no longer considered to be sons of William b. ca 1726 , but instead are likely to be sons of the James b. ca 1715/20 who appeared on 1747 Prince William Co. tax list.
William Bridges b. 1786 alive 1850, father of Ezekiel, is no longer considered to be a son of Aaron, but is most likely a son of Moses. William's wife (Ezekiel's mother) is most likely a daughter of Aaron.
Aaron "trading Aaron" Bridges b. 1784 d. 1852, married Sarah Hamrick, is no longer considered to be a son of Moses b. 1745, but is most likely (based on land records) a son of the older Aaron b. ca 1747.
Aaron Bridges b. 1789 d. 1887 (married Margaret Holland) is no longer considered to be a son of Aaron b. 1747, but is most likely a son of Isaac b. 1764, who appears to have left one son in NC when Isaac moved ca 1818 to Franklin Co., TN. There is a tradition told by some of the descendants of Thomas Stone Bridges (son of Grog Creek John Bridges b. ca 1778, d. 1842) that Aaron b. 1789 borrowed a horse from Thomas Stone Bridges to ride to TN. Several of the children of Aaron b. 1789 went to TN, including one who went to Franklin Co. and returned to NC as shown in the census records.
"Brother" James Bridges d. 1792 York Co. (wife was Lydia Roberts Lashley; and "brother" was Thomas d. 1782 with will 1781) is no longer considered to be the same James Bridges who was on Thicketty Creek in South Carolina. An older James Bridges was on Thicketty Creek by 1765, and was the Captain James Bridges of Tryon County, and does not appear to be related to the Prince William County Bridges family. James (of Thicketty Creek) also probably was the spy in the Indian expedition in 1779 and probably the Captain of Horse in 1780-81 (from the South Carolina records). James (of Thicketty Creek) was the Bridges man who was with Felix Walker, William Twitty and Daniel Boone in KY in 1775.
When Stephen Collis Jones wrote his book "The Hamrick Generations" in 1920, he could not distinguish between different Bridges men who had the same given name in the old records and in family tradition. At the time Collis Jones researched his book, he was obviously concentrating his research efforts on Rutherford County and Cleveland County, and their parent counties, and neighboring counties. Collis Jones may have encountered references to about ten or more men named "James Bridges" who were born prior to 1800, with most of these born prior to 1770. Jones did not have Bridges ancestors. The major problem which Jones created with his "composite character" whom he called "James Bridges" and reported in his Chapter 170 with reputed wife and reputed children, is that his character "James": (a) includes data from and children of several different men named James Bridges, and (b) includes apparent children of several other Bridges men not named James Bridges. By tradition, but not by documented records, one, perhaps the so called "first" (1) James Bridges may have marrried a Hamrick in early Virginia. This (1) James is probably the one who appears on the 1747 Prince William County tax record, and then appears again in the estate record of Patrick Hamrick in the 1760s in Virginia, but for this (1) James his final residence and place and date death is not known. The second (2) James Bridges (b. ca 1775 - 21 = 1754, or earlier) was called "Jr. from Prince William County" in the British Mecantile Claims of Stafford County during the mid 1770s, and stayed in Stafford Co. until ca 1807/09 when he moved to Nelson/Spencer Co. KY (with a Lloyd family) where this (2) James died testate ca 1816. Jones may have never known anything about this (2) James. The (2) James Jr. may be a son of (1) James, or may be a son of the older Benjamin Bridges of Prince William County? IT IS NOT KNOWN FOR CERTAIN, IF THE JAMES WHO WAS INVOLVED WITH THE PROBATE OF THE ESTATE OF PATRICK HAMRICK, WAS (1) JAMES, OR (2) JAMES (JR). The third (3) James Bridges was on Thicketty Creek in Mecklenburg Co. NC by 1765 (was in SC after the boundary survey of 1772), was Captain in Tryon Co., and was with William Twitty, Felix Walker and Daniel Boone in 1775 KY, then went back to SC, then back to KY and eventually to MO. This (3) James appears to not NOT be related to the Prince William County Bridges family. The fourth (4) James Bridges was "brother" of Thomas (d. 1782, with will in SC) and it was this (4) James that married Lydia Roberts Lashley in Granville Co. and d. ca 1792 in York Co. The fifth (5) James Bridges b. ca 1775 d. ca 1815 with headstone at Buffalo Baptist Church was son of (4) James and Lydia. The sixth (6) James Bridges b. ca 1765, was in 1790 Rutherford Co. census, owned land on Shoal Creek, wife is not known, but several of his sons used "B" as middle initial (Burwell B. Bridges and Asa B. Bridges) Several of George Blanton's daughters married Bridges men, and George had a son Burwell Blanton. This (6) James b. ca 1765 was alive in mid 1840s when he sold land to Mt. Sinai Baptist Church on waters of Shoal Creek in Cleveland Co. in a deed that was not recorded until many years after his death. This (6) James is not found in the 1850 Cleveland Co. census, so (6) James presumably died ca 1845/49. Collis Jones seems to focus on this (6) James Bridges of Shoal Creek in his Hamrick book, but this (6) James would have died about twenty years before Jones was born, so Jones did not personally know (6) James Bridges, but Jones seems to use (6) James as the base for his "composite character". The seventh (7) James Bridges born ca 1770/75 and married Elizabeth, lived on Sandy Run Creek, and died in 1844 with estate probate in Rutherford Co.(with sons: James, Anderson, and Wiley). This (7) James is probably a brother of Grog Creek John Bridges (ancestor of the writer). The eighth(8) James Bridges born ca 1771 (son of Moses b. ca 1745) married Dicy Harrell, and lived on Beaverdam Creek in Cleveland Co., and was listed in 1850 Cleveland Co.census, and was alive as late as 1854 when he gave land to a grandson. The ninth (9) James Bridges (or Bridget) had married Nancy Ashworth in Burke Co. and was listed in the 13th census company of northwestern Rutherford Co., while his father William Bridges (or Bridget) was listed north just across the river in 1790 Burke Co. (9) James was next in Buncombe Co., which has lost many early records, but (9) James appears to be reported as dead in the court minutes by the late 1810s. The widow of (9) James is found in Buncombe Co. near her Ashworth family for many years after his death. At the present time, it is clear that William (the father of (9)James) is: not (a) William and Ursilla from the 1760s Dan River area in northern Rowan Co., or but is (b) from Balls Creek in eastern Lincoln Co. just west of the Catawba River. It is not known if this (9) James is descended from the Prince William County Bridges family. The tenth (10) James Bridges apparently appears first near Pemberton Creek in Bladen Co., then buys and sells town lots in Salisbury, Rowan Co., then moves southwest where he appears in the 1790 Mecklenburg Co. census and then in the 1800 Cabarrus Co. census, and then soon after that his estate is probate according to the Cabarrus Co. court minutes. The widow and children of (10) James sold his Cabarrus Co. land and moved to KY where his son Pemberton can be found prior to moving to MO. This (10) James is not related to the Prince William County Bridges. Also, Collis Jones did not mention in his book three other Bridges men who lived in the primary area of Bridges settlement of lower Cleveland Co.: (a) Moses Bridges b. ca 1745 d. ca 1816, (b) Aaron Bridges b. ca 1747 d. ca 1816, or (c) William Bridges d. ca 1840s (not the father of Ezekiel). This (c) William married a Blanton, and sold (in 1840s)land of her father George Blanton in Cleveland Co. Jones probably included children of these last three Bridges men (not named James) in Chapter 170 of his book of the children of "James". There were a few other men named "James" around in the old records, but the above ten men named "James Bridges" are most likely the specific ones that Jones may have encountered, and are the ones that researchers are presently dealing with due to the Jones book. The above details and dates are brief due to time and space limitations. As far as this writer knows, this is the first comprehensive attempt to identify and document the several men named "James Bridges" that may have confused Collis Jones. The above presentation of "James Bridges" is an outline to be used for additional research, comments and corrections.
Patrick Hamrick and Roger Day (d. ca 1723) were reported to be shipmates and cousins, children of brother and sister. No evidence has ever been found to indicate if Patrick's mother was a Day, or if Roger's mother was a Hamrick. It is not known if Patrick and Roger shared Hamrick grandparents, or if they shared Day grandparents.
The item below in this paragraph has apparently never before been reported upon by Hamrick researchers in their search for Patrick, but it is the earliest proven appearance of Patrick Hamrick in Virginia: Nov. 6, 1718 Richmond Co., Va. Court Order Book No. 8, p. 70-71 "In an action of Debt between Samuel Matthews, Plt. and Patrick Hamrick, Deft., for seven hundred fifty nine pounds of good tobacco and caske due by Bill, the Deft. being returned non est inventus and not appearing, on motion of Plt., an Attachment is granted him against the Estate of the Defendt. for the aforesaid sum and costs returnable to the next Court." (Re: "Virginia County Court Records, Richmond County, Virginia, Order Book 1718-1719" by Ruth & Sam Sparacio - 1998). (NOTE: Samuel Matthews was filing other simliar suits against other people in this court term, so he may have been a merchant. This record appears to be the earliest appearance we have found for Patrick Hamrick in the Northern Neck, suggesting that he was there at least a few months earlier than November, 1718 in order for him to have incurred this debt. This record suggests that Patrick Hamrick was born by 1697 (1718-21) or earlier.).
March 30, 1719 Richmond Co., Va. Deed Book No. 7, p. 392-393 ... not quoted ... John Bery (Berry) of Hannover Parish, Richmond Co., Planter to Henry Bery of Hannover Parish, Richmond Co., Planter. Consideration: Five shillings. Sells all that land left to him by his father Henry Berry, late of the County aforesaid, deceased, so left by the will and last testament of Henry Berry, Senr., deceased, for one whole year. ... omit details .... Signed: John (his x mark) Berry. Witness: James Kay, Edm. Reading, Patrick Hamrick. At a Court held for Richmond Co. April 1, 1719 John Berry came into Court and acknowledged this his Deed unto Henry Berry and it was admitted to Record. (Re: "Virginia County Court Records, Richmond County, Virginia, Deed Abstracts 1718-1719" by Ruth & Sam Sparacio - 1993). (NOTE: This document was prepared, signed and witnessed and then two days later it was taken into court and acknowledged by the grantor. This implies that the document may have been signed and witnessed during the court term, and that the witnesses (Patrick Hamrick and James Kay) may also have been present at the court term. Other records show that the Bery or Berry family, and the Kay or Kays or Key or Keys (James Kay I, II and III) families lived near the Cox family in what was then Richmond Co., and it is probable that Patrick Hamrick also lived nearby.)
The Patrick Hamrick family was associated prior to 1720 with the extended family of Mr. Cox. The decipherment of the old records as to the given name of Mr. Cox creates problems due to the similar formation of the uppercase letters "L" and "S". Original loose papers do not usually survive in these early Virginia counties, but some record books do survive. The record books are transcriptions from the original loose pages. Some of the early record books now on microfilm are not even the first transcription, but are second transcriptions made from the first transcriptions. With some of the early handwriting, certain letters of the alphabet are difficult to distinguish from others. The “L” and the “S” are often similar and give problems to researchers. Published abstracts have usually rendered the name of Mr. Cox as "Sem", but a few have used "Lem" and even "Lem'l.". One published abstract of land records spells his name as “Lemuel”. The second letter, of his name, either lowercase “e” or “i”, was not usually dotted on the microfilm of the old record books which this writer has seen, so gives this writer the impression that it is an “e”. "Virginia Colonial Abstracts" by Beverly Fleet abstracts "Simon" Cox in Northumberland Co. in 1654, and once as "Symon". If the second letter was really an “e” then we have to question if “Simon” is correct. The will of “Sem” Cox was probate Dec. 6, 1710 in Richmond Co. Mr. Fleet abstracts the estate of Sem Cox ca 1711/13 with many details, including notes related to London and Bristol, revealing that Mr. Cox was probably a wealthy man, possibly a merchant. Proof of his given name is not conclusive, based on the evidence at this time. Since there appears to have been records for him in England, perhaps research in the English records will confirm what his given name really was. A place known as “Cox Corner” in the Northern Neck can be found on current road maps with Rappahannock River drainage near the Northern Neck dividing ridge and on highway 218 one to two miles west of the current Stafford Co. and King George Co. boundary line. This is about six miles east of the falls of the Rappahannock River (Fredericksburg - an early trading center). Keys Run Creek is located about nine miles east from Cox Corner and flows into the Rappahannock River in King George Co., with Skinker's Neck being located just across the river.).
April 1, 1719 Richmond Co., Va. Court Order Book No. 8, p. 90 "Samuel Matthews his action of Debt. against Patrick Hamrick is dismist, noe prosecution." (Re: "Virginia County Court Records, Richmond County, Virginia, Order Book 1718-1719" by Ruth & Sam Sparacio - 1998). (NOTE: Several other suits by Samuel Matthews were also dismissed during this court term due to not being prosecuted.).
The 1976 article is an outline and a guide, as is the 1993 article, subject to changes and corrections based on future research. Please provide your comments.
About a dozen living males from our Prince William Co., VA. BRIDGES line have closely matched each other through Y chromosome DNA testing. Test results for this writer are posted at http://www.familytreedna.com under Bridges test kit number 35494; and are also posted at http://www.ysearch.org under Bridges user GWJKG. More test results from more male Bridges test subjects are needed to help identify related branches within our Prince William County Bridges line.
Top of Page
Go to Home Page of Mills Y. Bridges
Go to 1993 Bridges and Hamrick Article