|| The Earliest
Documented Ancestor of|
BRIDGES, BRIDGER, BRIDGERS, BRIDGE,
GROUP 2 (Haplogroup R1a1)
William Bridgers was born in Isle of Wight, VA in 1678 and died in Bertie
Co., NC in 1730. He married Elizabeth Godwin about 1714 in Isle of Wight, VA.
They had: Sons: Joseph, William, Benjamin and Samuel and Daughters: Mary and
Top of Page
DNA Project Page
DNA Test Results
Their son, Samuel Bridgers, was about 1730 born in Bertie Co., NC and
was in Robeson Co., NC by 1790, where he was the Sheriff. He died there in
1800 and his wife, Elizabeth, died in 1813.
- Their son, Benjamin Bridgers, was born about 1705 in Isle of Wight, VA
and married to Sarah nee Bryant, widow of John Drake. They resided in Nash
and Edgecombe Counties, NC. Benjamin died about 1781.
Benjamin & Sarah's son, William Bridgers, was born about 1732 in
Bertie Co., NC and died in 1805 in Nash Co., NC. He married Elizabeth
Bass, daughter of Abraham Bass. She died before Oct 1845 in Wilson Co.,
- Their son, Samuel Bridgers, was born about 1752 in NC and died
before 1807. He married Mary Barnes about 1787 in Robeson Co., NC. She
was born 15 Jan 1772 in NC and died 30 Apr 1835 in Claiborne Co., MS.
John Bridgers was married to Faith Ruffin or Dickinson. He died in
Northampton County, NC in 1764.
- Their son, Micajah Bridgers, was born 3 Sep 1770 in Nash Co., NC and
married Nancy Ann Bass (dau of Theopholis Bass and Rachel Vinson).
- Their son, Alfred Washington Bridgers, was born in 1812 in
Edgecombe Co., NC and died in 1900. He married, first, Nancy Atkinson who
was born in 1819 in NC and died ca 1860 in Morehouse Parish, LA
(cemetery at Oak Ridge, Morehouse Parish).
Alfred married, second, Elizabeth, after 1860 in Morehouse Parish, LA.
- Their son, Thomas Jefferson Bridgers, was born in 1855 in
Oakridge, Morehouse Parish, LA and died in 1900. He married Emily
Reed who was born in 1860 and died in Feb. 1918.
- Their son, Edward Thomas Bridgers, was born in Sep 1893 in
Delhi, LA and died in Mar 1956 in Little Rock, Pulaski Co., AR. He
married Lois Phillips who was born in 1900.
- Their son, ETB was the test subject.
- Their son, Edwin Bridges, married Mary Dickinson. He died before 2 Feb
1783 in Northampton County, NC and she died on 8 Jul 1818 in Logan County,
KY. They had children: John, Edwin, Elizabeth, Mary, and Brittain.
- Their son, John Bridges, was born in NC and died before 5 Feb 1816.
- His son, William Clayton Bridges was married to Amanda Maria Louisa
Mantlo. William C. died in Robertson Co., TN on 23 Oct 1867.
- Their son, William Clayton Bridges, was born in 1836 and died in
1869. His wife was Mary Amelia Fort. Mary was born in 1846 and died in
Joseph J. Bridges was born in 1774 in NC and died after the 1850 Census in
Jefferson Co., IL. His wife was Sarah who was born in 1785 in NC.
- John Bridgers, who was born before 1748, received a land grant in Dobbs
Co., NC in 1768 and married Abigail Cogdell there. John died by 1797 in
Johnston Co., NC.
- Their son, David Bridgers, was born about 1784 and died in 1827 in
Johnston Co., NC. He married Edith Crawford.
- Their son, David Henderson Bridgers, was born 6 Oct 1826 in Johnston
Co., NC and died after 1900 in Goldsboro, Wayne Co., NC. He married
Nancy Permenter10 Oct 1849 in Johnston Co., NC. She was born in Nov 1824
and died after 1900 in Goldsboro, NC.
- Their son, Samuel Flowers David Henderson Bridgers, was born in
1868 in Wayne Co., NC and died in 1935. He married Agnes Fort
Stallings who was born in 1874 and died in 1960.
Hardy Bridges was born in 17 Dec 1801 in Hancock Co., Georgia. His mother
was Cherry / Charity (POWELL) BRIDGERS and his father is believed to be the
John BRIDGERS who died in Hancock Co., GA in 1802. Hardy died in 1854 in
Attala County, MS. He married Nancy Bush Copeland 12 Dec 1822 in Greene Co.,
GA. She was born there in 1800 and died 29 May 1877 at Liberty Chapel, Attala
- Their son, Samuel J. Bridges, was born about 1823 in TN and resided in
Jefferson Co., IL until 1870 when he was in Moore, Oregon Co., MO. He died
in 1897. His wife, Catherine, was born in 1820 in KY.
- Their son, Thomas E. Bridges, was born in Feb 1854 in Jefferson Co.,
IL and died after 1930 in MO. His wife, Louisiana West was born in Nov
1853 in TN.
- Their son, Jesse Thurman Bridges, was born Sep 1888 in MO, died 28
Jan 1947 and buried in Koshkonong/Brandsville, MO. His wife, Stella Jane
Day, was born 6 May 1892 and died in 1987.
James W. Bridges was born in 1768 and resided in GA and LA. He married
- Their son, Andrew Jackson Bridges, was born about 1832 in Greene Co., GA
and died about 1865 in McCool, Attala Co., MS. He married Sarah Ellen
Winters 7 July 1853 in Attala Co., MS. She was born 23 May 1835 in Greene
Co., GA and died about 1906 in Valliant, McCurtain Co., OK.
- Their son, John Hardy Bridges, was born 09 October 1861 in McCool,
Attala Co., MS and died 03 July 1933 at Paris, Lamar Co., TX. He married
Mary Woods on 4 September 1898 at Clarksville, Red River Co., TX. She was
born 18 June 1880 at Bogata, Red River Co., TX and died 06 February 1962
at Detroit, Red River Co., TX.
Wilson Bennett Bass born about 1790 in Nash County, NC. It is thought by
more than one source he was the son of Augustine Bass, Sr. Wilson's wife is
unknown at this time. He had 3 known children, a Bennett Bridges Bass born
about 1810; Nancy Bass Padgett born about 1812 and William Riley Bass born
- Their son, James W. Bridges, was born in 1814 in LA and died in 1852 in
Anderson Co., TX. He married Elizabeth Burton Harris. She was born in LA.
- Their son,John R. aka Jackson Ross Bridges, was born in 1833 in San
Augustine,TX and died in TX. He married Narcissa Louisa Burton, who was
born Abt. 1830 in Louisiana, and died in TX.
- Their son, James Robert Bridges, was born in TX in July 1861 and
died about 1901 in Houston Co., TX. He married Dora Wilson on 10 Aug
1885 in Houston Co., TX. She was born 8 Aug 1869 in Rapides Parish, LA
and died 13 Feb 1952 in Houston, Harris Co., TX.
- Their son, Roscoe Virgil Bridges, was born 8 May 1886 in Houston
Co., TX and died 1 Jan 1961 at Houston, Harris Co., TX. He married
Grace Ann Callie Rogers 27 July 1928 in Montgomery Co., TX. She was
born 1 Nov 1900 in Houston Co., TX and died 22 Sept 1961 at Houston,
Harris Co., TX.
- Wilson's son, William Riley Bass, was born 1824 in Covington County, AL.
Married Mary Straughn - children - James W., John, William M., Bennett
Bridges and Riley Bass.
- The son, William M. Bass, was born 1852, married Abigail Welch - their
children William Riley Bass born Aug. 28, 1882, died Nov. 17, 1966 in
Andalusia, AL. Mary A. Bass Hutcheson.
- The son, William Riley Bass, was born 1882 married Sara Agusta