Ancestor chart of Bridges Family
FTDNA Test Kit# 130054, Group 4 (Haplogroup: J Terminal SNP: M172 -- Previous Haplogroup J2) (Ysearch User ID # T5B5P) (chart submitted by test subject)
The accuracy of the ancestor chart is the responsibility of the test subject.
____?_____ Bridges b. ? ca 1735/70 (?VA or NC?) d. ______ after 1790/95; m. _____ _____ b. ___ d. _______ ; CHILDREN: 1. Thomas W. Bridges b. ca 1790/95 (?KY or ?SC) d. (alive 1841).
NOTES FOR ADDITIONAL RESEARCH: Thomas Bridges was apparently in St. Helena Parish, LA as early as 1817. The 1820 East Baton Rouge, LA census lists the household of one Thom's. E. Bridges with four white males, one age 16-25, and three age 26-44; and no white females. The 1830 Saint Helena Parish, LA census lists Thomas Bridges age 30-40, with 1 male age 10-15, 2 males age 5-10, 3 males age under 5; and one female age 20-30. The 1830 East Feliciana Parish, LA census lists one Joseph Bridges with two males age 40-50. The 1840 Saint Helena Parish, LA (for which the surnames are not in alphabetic sequence) lists Thomas Bridges between Joseph Bridges and J. T. Bridges (from other records Jacob Bridges) with each man being age 40-50 and each having apparent wife and children. The question is whether Thomas was related to the other two Bridges men who were about his same age listed beside him in this 1840 census. The wife of Thomas Bridges and most of his children are listed in the 1850 Saint Helena Parish, LA census, but Thomas himself is not listed. An unconfirmed legend about Thomas Bridges is that after 1840/41, he left St. Helena Parish, LA and moved by himself to Texas.
My earliest ancestor is: Thomas W. Bridges (middle name is possibly William) b. ca 1790/95 (?KY or ?SC) and d. (alive ca 1841 St. Helena Parish, LA). Thomas m. in St. Helena Parish on Nov. 5, 1817 Elizabeth Jackson (dau of James Jackson and Nancy Anne Lee, both b. SC). Wife Elizabeth b. June, 1800 SC d. June 5, 1885 St. Helena Parish. EIGHT CHILDREN:
1. John Jackson Bridges, born 17 Sep 1818, St. Helena Parish, LA and died 10 Nov 1894, St. Helena Parish, LA. First marriage 3 Mar 1843, St. Helena Parish, LA to Martha Ann Day born 26 Jan 1820, St. Helena Parish, LA and died 9 Aug 1873 St. Helena Parish, LA. Second Marriage 7 Mar 1876, St. Helena Parish, LA to Mary Emma Birch. CHILDREN: (First Marriage) James Bridges 1848-1848, Martha Jane Bridges 1850-1892, John Sibley Bridges 1853-1931, Easter Ann Bridges 1855 – 1856, Julius Eugene Wilson Bridges 1857-1942, Arizona Alcena Bridges 1859-1925, Nefus Tuberville Bridges 1864-1946. CHILDREN: (Second Marriage) Sarah Emeline Bridges 1877-1959, William Day Bridges 1881-1946, Neoma Bridges 1883- (?), John Jackson Bridges, Jr. 1885-1889.
2. James Jackson Bridges, born 19 Jul 1822 St. Helena Parish, LA and died 13 Aug 1891 St. Helena Parish, LA married ca 1849 Martha Jane Hardy born 1832 Mississippi and died Nov 1860 Tallahatchie, Mississippi. CHILDREN: Hardy Strickland Bridges 1850-1923, James Clarence Bridges 1853-1874.
3. Thomas Elbert Bridges, Born 15 Nov 1824 St. Helena Parish and died 25 May 1908 St. Helena Parish, First marriage 18 Feb 1846 Amite, MS Judith Caroline Day born 1828 Louisiana and died 3 Feb 1849 St. Helena Parish, LA. Second Marriage 23 Nov 1852 Amite Co., MS Caroline Morris Breedland born 1825 Pike Co., Mississippi and died 15 Feb 1891 St. Helena Parish, LA. Third marriage 1 Jul 1897 St. Helena Parish, LA Hannah S. Thompson born Jun 1858 St. Helena Parish, LA. CHILDREN: (First Marriage) Thomas Elbert Bridges, Jr. 1845-1846, Margania Elizabeth Bridges 1847-1932, Martha Jane Bridges 1849-1923. CHILDREN: (Second Marriage) Frances Ann Bridges 1853-1860, Thomas Jefferson Bridges 1854-(?), Mary Ann Evaline Bridges 1856-1928, Zora Bridges 1857-1861, Sarah Arkansas Bridges 1861-1903.CHILDREN: (Third marriage) None.
4. Great-Great Grandfather: Joseph Wilford Bridges, born 13 Jan 1826 St. Helena Parish, LA and died 1 Oct 1914 St. Helena Parish, LA, First Marriage 27 Apr 1857 St. Helena Parish, LA Mary Jane King born 8 Oct 1836 LA and died 18 Apr 1877 St. Helena Parish, LA. Second Marriage 22 Jan 1880 St. Helena Parish, LA Sarah Young born 5 Jun 1840 LA and died 17 Mar 1914. CHILDREN: (First Marriage) Benjamin Franklin Bridges 1858-1947, John M. Bridges 1859- . CHILDREN: (Second Marriage) Nancy Elizabeth Bridges 1881-(?). In 1880 St. Helena Parish census Joseph Bridges age 50 said he was b. LA, and his father and mother were b. S. Carolina; and in 1880 his mother Elizabeth age 77 said she was b. S. Carolina. In 1900, Joseph b. 1826 said he and both parents were b. S.C.
5. William Lee Bridges, born 23 Dec 1829 St. Helena Parish, LA and died 10 Nov 1890, married 11 Jun 1850 St. Helena Parish, LA to Pauline Ann Travis born 26 Jan 1831 Amite, MS and died 3 Aug 1911 St. Helena Parish, LA. CHILDREN: Cannon W. Bridges 1851-1923, James Jackson Bridges 1855-1931, Melisa Eveline Bridges 1857-1909, Virginia Bridges 1860-(?), Sophernia Ageline Bridges 1861-1890, Susan Bridges 1862-(?), Mary Pauline Bridges 1866-1950, William Thomas Bridges 1869-?.
6. Frances Ann Caroline Bridges, b. 1 Aug 1832 St. Helena Parish, LA and 12 Jun 1900 St. Helena Parish, LA, Not Married. No Children.
7. Sarah Ann Evaline Bridges, born 4 Sep1834 St. Helena Parish, LA and died 11 Feb1901 St. Helena Parish, LA. Not Married. No Children.
8. Virginia Ann Emaline Bridges, born 5 Feb 1835 St. Helena Parish, LA and died 18 Feb 1902 St. Helena Parish, LA. First Marriage 9 Jan 1851 St. Helena Parish. LA to Barrett Travis born 23 May 1830 Amite, MS and died 24 May 1874 St. Helena Parish, LA. Second Marriage 13 Dec 1878 St. Helena Parish, LA to Madison Monroe Phillips born 24 Apr 1836 St. Helena Parish, LA and died 11 Feb 1909 St. Helena Parish, LA. CHILDREN: (First Marriage) Wilson Travis 1852-?, Caroline Augusta Travis 1853-1898, Richard Travis 1857-?, Hezekiah Travis 1859-1870, Hardy Decalb Travis 1862-1925, Ellison Cannon Travis 1865-1909, Walter W. Travis 1868-1900, Nancy Travis 1870-?, Idelia E. Travis 1873-1959.
Great Grandfather: Benjamin Franklin Bridges, born 17 Jan 1858, St. Helena Parish, LA and died 4 Nov 1947, Fort Smith, Sebastian Co, AR married ca 1881 Jefferson Co., AR to Belle Zora (Windham) Reeves, born 7 Feb 1856 and died 1910. Her parents were John Carlyle Windham and Nancy Lancaster. Benjamin and Belle Zora Bridges’ CHILDREN: John Carlyle Bridges, 1882-1946, Anne Bridges, 1887-1908, Pat Bridges, 1889-1922, Belle Bridges, born 1891, Susie May Bridges, born 1893 and died Shawnee, OK, and Frank Bridges, born 1899.
Grandfather: John Carlyle Bridges born 17 Jan 1882 in Jefferson Co, AR and died 6 Jan 1946, San Diego, CA. married 17 May 1911 to Clemmie Cherry, born 14 April 1891, Perry Co, AR and died 24 Nov 1972 in San Diego, CA. She was the daughter of Asa Allise Cherry and Lucy Ann Johnson. Their CHILDREN: Charles Lawton Bridges, 1912-1955, Ethel Bridges, 1913-1983, Carl Vernon Bridges, 1916-1990 and Sidney Belle Bridges, 1924-1940.
Father: Charles Lawton Bridges was born 24 Mar 1912 Casa, Perry Co., AR and died 22 May 1955 Sanford, FL. First Marriage 25 Mar 1933 Oklahoma City, OK Clevella Marguerite Martin born 5 Jan 1916 Butler, KS and died 1 Jul 2004 Harper Co., KS. Second marriage (mother) Lillian Margaret Stanton born 28 Dec 1909 Oklahoma City, OK died 22 Dec 1994 Oklahoma city, OK. Third Marriage ca 1944 in Florida to Dorothea Marie Mickey born 22 Jun 1904 Rooks Co., KS and died 14 Apr 1994 Orange Co., FL. CHILDREN: son JAB.
Test subject: JAB, son of Charles Lawton Bridges and Lillian Margaret Stanton.DNA Project Page DNA Test Results